Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Day of Spring Quarter!

Ok so it's the first day of classes here at CW for Spring Quarter. First off, SPRING quarter is definitely misleading in this part of the our great big world.  Spring= flowers, sunshine, barbeques and happily skipping through fields right?  Not here it doesn't.  The weather is SO bipolar here!  One minute its bright and sunshiney outside and you think to yourself, "Spring has finally come!"  The next minute its SNOWING!!!  I'm used to the rain; I grew up in Oregon.  But snow?!  I expected it when I lived in Idaho but this is the almighty Pacific Northwest for crying out loud!!  For me that means NO snow past February and this little town is defnitely not meeting up to my expectations!

Anyway back to school.  The first few days of classes are always exciting!  What will my teacher be like?  Will it be an easy A or a class that I have to actually apply myself to get a good grade?  I love getting brand new spiral bound notebooks or any other new school supplies for that matter.  I should probably become a profession school supply shopper, I love it that much.  Then you go to buy your textbooks and WHAM!!!  You're having to spend $500 on books.  Really something should be done about the ridiculous prices of textbooks.  But other than that its great!  I only have 2 classes today:  Anthropology of Religion and Anthropology: Human Variation/Adaptive Living Populations.  Then I'm also taking and English class and a Biology class.  I suck at sciene so the Biology might be a bit of  struggle but I'm determined to do well.

I hope that come next year I will actually be able to take more of my Primate Studies classes!  My dream job would to be living in Rwanda or Uganda studying the great Mountain Gorillas in the area!  Everyone thinks I am a totally nut job and crazy person for wanting this to be my career.  But it would be so much more than a career!  It would be my life!  I want to climb the forest everyday looking for gorilla families.  I want to get to know them so well that they accept me as a part of their group and let me get up close.  I want to help conserve their territory and keep the poachers out of the forest.  Diane Fossey is my HERO because she wholey committed her life to helping these awesome animals!  When I look at them I can't help get excited.  They are huge and massive and could rip your arms right out of your sockets if they wanted to.  But they're also really similar to us.  They live in group families because they need social interaction and love just like we do.  It is so adorable to see a male gorilla whose sole job is to protect by any means necessary his family, sit and play with one of the little babies.  They are so similar to us it is amazing.  I just have to work hard and get through school and do everthing I can to make my dream a reality!
Koko the Gorilla seems to smile as she considers eating a kitten.

Well that's enough rambling for now.  I have class in a couple hours and I should probably clean my room before then since it looks a bunch of adolescent chimpanzees were playing in here.  I can be such a messy person!

No comments:

Post a Comment