Now.... Bin Laden, pretty sure that there aren't many people in the world that would argue that he wasn't a bad guy right? He was let's be real. He was evil as it gets in my opinion. I was as hell bent on catching those responsible for the 9/11 attacks as anyone else so yes, I was glad that he was no longer on the earth. However... seeing all the excitement and partying outside the White House gates and hearing about all the celebrations going on around the country really disturbed me. I understand the excitement, the national pride, the pride everyone has for the soldiers who have been over in in the Middle East for years. I get it all and I am in the same boat. But, to celebrate anyone's death in that manner, to have a party over someone's death seems so wrong to me. I had people tell me that I was unpatriotic for thinking this way. Why? That couldn't be further from the truth. I have family that are in the military, who have actually gone over to the Middle East and proudly served their country. I couldn't be more proud of them and their service. That doesn't mean I have throw a party because we killed someone. Did he deserve what he got? I would say yes. But he still had a family who cared about him. What if someone didn't like your dad for whatever reason but you believed and trusted him unwavering, he died and then then a nation celebrated your dad's death? How would you feel?
There has been a quote curculating said to be from Martin Luther King Jr. but it has been proven not be from him. However I believe it to be very beautiful and completely how I feel. Here is the original from the woman named Jessica Dovey who actually said it, an American English teacher working currently in Japan:
"I mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.“Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” MLK jr"
Dido Miss Dovey. Well said.
No comments:
Post a Comment